Sparks Fly as Phosphate Mining Proposal Divides North Florida Communities
- UF Professor, Nasser El-Shall is lead researcher for Jack E. Hazen and HPS Enterprises, LLC (SUNBIZ)
- Nasser El-Shall has reportedly worked for MOSAIC Mining. Note: Mark E. Kaplan, Senior Vice President for Public Affairs served as Chief of Staff to Florida Governor Jeb Bush (MOSAIC)
- Cargill is one of the world’s leading producers and marketers of concentrated phosphate and potash crop nutrients and owned 2/3 of the shares of The Mosaic Company until 2011.(Source)
- A review of industrial innovations in phosphate processing – Nasser El-Shall. This article provides the basis for improvements in phosphate mining.
4/22 -WCJB: Phosphate Mining Operation Moves Forward: Bradford county staff confirms a site plan has been filed for the three thousand acre project near Brooker. “I was shocked,” Brenda Thornton said after witnessing the Bradford county commission meeting Thursday night. Emotions boiling over during that meeting, sheriff’s deputies escorted people from both sides out. The commission will hold a workshop Friday, April 29. (More)
4/4/2016 FCN Report on Phosphate Mining Proposal
BELOW: Dr. Steve Pieczenik warns Bradford County Officials of phosphate mining health dangers. Complete video of 26 citizens comments beginning at 9:42 (click here)
Stakeholder, Jack Hazen claims University of Florida Professor Hassan El-Shall backs him up that phosphate mining will be “environmentalist friendly” and “will be different than what they’re doing in other parts of the state”.
Phosphate Mining in Florida, and What you should know about Phosphate even if you are elsewhere
- Petition: Citizens Against Phosphate Mining in Union and Bradford Counties
- Facebook: “Citizens Against Phosphate Mining in Union and Bradford Counties”
- Protect the Peace River
Apr 14, 2016 by Cheng Liu (Youtube)
I made this video of Mycol Stevens paddling down New River and talking about the proposed mining along its banks. New river is a major tributary to Santa Fe River and then Suwanee river… What’s the impact on the springs and aquifer? on the farms and people of Alachua county? Please Join Citizens Against Phosphate Mining in Union-and-Bradford-Counties.
“A growing body of literature explores the recent rise of the American passion for lawns. Clearly this peculiar cultural development was only possible after internal combustion-powered lawn mowers, industrially fixed nitrogen, and potent pesticides became available.” – Jack Putz, PhD – Plant ecologist at the University of Florida.(Article)
Even if mining is far from your backyard, more people need to know what Phosphate is really about. Florida has 27 mining sites with the smallest one digging 5,000 acres and the largest 100,000 acres, totaling over 490,000 acres. Such intensive and destructive practice is less known than Fracking, maybe because it’s only happening in Florida and Idaho – Florida provides 75 percent of the nation’s entire phosphate supply and 25 percent of the world’s supply… Everybody should know, Phosphate mining is about fertilizer so it has to do with food and lawns for us all. Share the video.
1. Sign the Petition http://www.thepetitionsite.com/313/46…
2. Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/Citizens-Aga…
3. The Wikipedia entry “Bone Valley” is obviously maintained by mining company proponent – check out the edit history. Knowledgeable local please correct it with unbiased information. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Va…
Sparks Fly at County Meeting
Bradford County Commission Phosphate Meeting Blowup
Published on Apr 23, 2016